Children under 16, and young people aged 16, 17 and 18 in full-time education*
You get free:
- NHS prescriptions
- NHS dental treatment for any course of treatment that starts before your 18th birthday or, if you are in full-time education, your 19th birthday
- NHS sight tests
- NHS wigs and fabric supports
- Get vouchers towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
- May get vouchers towards the cost of repair or replacement of glasses or contact lenses.
- May get help with travel costs for NHS treatment.
This is not a definitive guide to the help available, for more details read:
- Leaflet HC11, if you are resident in England
- if you are resident in Scotland click here and search for HCS1.
- if you are resident in Wales click here and search for HC11W.
*Full-time education means you must be receiving full-time instruction from a recognised educational establishment, such as a school, college or university. To be a ‘recognised establishment’ the place where you are studying must have a Department for Education and Skills (DfES) Establishment Number, and be registered on the DfES database. If it is not registered with the DfES, you still may be able to claim for help with health costs if you have a low income.
Other young people not in full-time education
You get free NHS dental treatment for any course of treatment which starts before your 18th birthday.
Young people aged under 25 living in Wales
You get free NHS dental examinations carried out in Wales, before your 25th birthday.
People aged 60 or over living in England
You get free NHS prescriptions
People aged 60 or over living in Wales
You get free NHS dental examinations carried out in Wales.