Changes to the NHS Pension Scheme in 2015
As you may be aware, new pension arrangements were introduced into all public sector pension schemes including the NHS Scheme from 1 April 2015. The main features of the new NHS Scheme include:
• A Career Average Revalued Earnings (CARE) scheme, with benefits based on a proportion of pensionable earnings each year during your career
• A build up rate of 1/54th of each year’s pensionable earnings with no limit on the number of years that can be taken into account. This is a higher build up rate than both the 1995 and 2008 sections of the NHS Scheme
• Revaluation of active members’ benefits in line with a rate set by Treasury plus 1.5 percent per annum
• A Normal Pension Age at which benefits can be claimed without reduction for early payment linked to the same age you are entitled to claim your State Pension (or age 65 if that is later).
• Pensions in payment to increase in line with a rate set by Treasury.
A State Pension Age Calculator is available on the Gov.uk website.
NHS Pension Schemes: An Overview
2015 Scheme Guide
2015 Scheme factsheet
Factsheet for members of the 2015 Scheme who also have membership in the 1995/2008 Scheme
Salary sacrifice factsheet
Early retirement reduction buy out (ERRBO) factsheet
Early retirement reduction buy out (ERRBO)/Additional Pension/MPAVC comparison
Early retirement reduction buy out (ERRBO) - ERRBO1 Expression of interest
Early retirement reduction buy out (ERRBO) - ERRBO3 Application for agreement
Loss of Enhanced and Fixed Protection 2012 and 2014 because of the 2015 NHS Pension Scheme
Employer support and information
A summary of the proposed final agreement on a scheme design from 2015 can be viewed at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reforming-the-nhs-pension-scheme-for-england-and-wales-proposed-final-agreement