Independent Financial Advice

By law NHS Pensions and Pension Officer can not provide financial advice to Scheme members. Therefore if you are in any doubt about the pension arrangement that will be the best one for you, you should seek independent financial advice.

Under the Financial Services and Markets Act of 2000 all financial advisers have to decide whether to be “independent”, “tied” or "multi-tied". A financial adviser who is “independent” can offer a range of financial services and products, whereas a financial adviser who is “tied” or "multi-tied" can only offer the products from one, or a selection of companies.

Before you ask for advice, make sure you know which type of adviser you are dealing with. Most financial advisers will charge for their advice.

The charge may be in the form of a fee payable by you or commission payable by any company that you decide to invest in. If the adviser you choose charges on a commission basis, you should ask how your investments will be affected by the charges.

Your Pension Officer may be able to help you find a source of independent financial advice or you can contact the address below for a list of local companies.

IFA Promotions Limited
17-19 Emery Road
Telephone: 0800 085 3250

or visit their website

It is advisable to check that the company you have chosen is authorised with the:

Financial Services Authority
25 The North Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 5HS
Telephone: 0845 606 1234