Life Assurance Lump sum

For 1995 section of the NHS Pension Scheme the lump sum payable is equal to 2 years’ pensionable pay. For 2008 section of the NHS Scheme members it is equal to 2 years’ reckonable pay provided you have not ‘drawn down’ any of your pension. - See Members Guide - SD Guide (PDF 1521kb).

For general medical, ophthalmic, locum and dental practitioners in both 1995 and 2008 sections, the lump sum will be twice the annual average of the uprated pensionable pay earned throughout their career.

Members who are legally married (including separated), or have formed a civil partnership, or have nominated a qualifying partner, their surviving spouse or partner will automatically get the lump sum unless the member has nominated anyone else on form DB2 (PDF, 116kb). The lump sum will then be paid to the member’s nominee(s).

Members who are single without a nominated qualifying partner, divorced, or have terminated a civil partnership, will have the lump sum paid automatically to their estate unless they have nominated someone on form DB2 (PDF, 116kb).

Members can change their instructions on form DB2 (PDF, 116kb) at anytime.

From 1 April 2008 members of the NHS Pension Scheme may also make multiple nominations for the death in service benefit rather than a single nomination (as applied prior to 1 April 2008). Either:

  • evenly to one or more individual parties
  • or in specific proportions to more than one individual parties.

Death benefit nomination forms are available below.

Q. Is there a limit on the number of people that I can nominate?

A. You can nominate one or more people [multiple nominations] to receive equal or unequal portions of the death benefit lump sum or one organisation.

Q. How do I make my nomination?

A. On form DB2, (PDF, 116kb) available to download from this website  or you can ask your employer to download a copy for you.

Q. What if I want to change my nomination?

A. You can cancel or make a new nomination at any time using a new DB2 (PDF, 116kb) form.

Q. If I cease NHS employment or after retirement am I able to make a nomination?

A. Yes, any person who has been in pensionable employment on or after 1 April 2008 can make a new nomination at any time.

Q. How is the lump sum claimed when payable to the estate?

A. For lump sums of £5,000 or more we need a grant of probate or letters of administration  


Q. How do we obtain grant of probate?

A. Please find details though this link.