Requests for patient identifiable medicines data should be made via the DARS application process at NHS Digital.
For all other patient identifiable data requests, such as dental data, the process is:
- Discuss your research project with the NHS Health Research Authority.
- Apply to the relevant research ethics committee for approval (this approval must be supplied as part of your application).
- If you also want to link our patient identifiable data with Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) sensitive patient-identifiable data, complete the DARS application process at NHS Digital.
- Read our data for research application form (Word: 578KB) and research board terms of reference (Word: 2.1MB).
- Complete the application form and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your request - include any relevant documents (for example, the ethical approval or your legal basis for requesting patient-identifiable data).
- Purchase order details, and email it to email@example.com
How we review your request
Our research board reviews all requests. They decide if it meets the requirements and if we can support it. We'll give you a reason if we're unable to support your request at the time of application.
Reviews usually take 6 to 8 weeks. It may take longer, depending on our resource availability and how complex the request is.
There will be a non-refundable charge for reviewing your request. If your request is approved, there will be additional charges to cover the cost of processing and delivering the data.