Skip to main content Skip to footer

Check your eligibility and what you could get

We have three different bursary calculators available :

  1.  Personal Eligibility Calculator lets you know if you're eligible, this is applicable to medical and dental students applying for a bursary for the first time
  2.  Student Status Calculator tells you if your status will be independent or dependent (you need to know this when you apply).
  3. Award Estimate Calculator gives an estimate of how much you're entitled to.

The calculators should only be used as a guide.

We can’t confirm how much help you’ll get until we have your application form and supporting information.

As well as the NHS bursary, there is additional financial help you can apply for.

Help with childcare costs

If you pay for registered childcare while you attend your course, you can apply for financial help towards the cost. This is called Childcare Allowance

The allowance is intended as an additional means of help towards childcare costs but it will not normally cover all of your costs.

The Help with childcare costs for NHS Bursary students 2016/17   provides a detailed overview of the Childcare Allowance, including how the allowance is calculated, the rates and how to apply.

Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

Our guide to Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) 2016/17 gives an overview of the different elements of the DSAs that students could be entitled to, the maximum rates and how to apply.

Practice Placement Expenses

Our step by step guide to completing your PPE claim form gives you instructions on what you need to do to claim excess travel and / or accommodation expenses incurred while on a practice placement.

You can find out specific information for your course type below.

Students on medical and dental courses are able to apply for a bursary in the later years of their course.

  • Students on a five or six year undergraduate course can apply from their fifth year of study
  • Students on a three or four year graduate entry course can apply from their second year of study

Please note we don't send out personal invitations to remind students to apply for funding so please check the application deadlines carefully to make sure you apply at the right time.

You can find out detailed information about bursaries in the NHS Bursary Scheme Rules.  


Intercalating years at bachelors or masters level (but not PhD) can be counted towards the qualifying period for NHS Bursary support. If intercalation takes place in the first four years of the undergraduate programme, you can transfer to NHS support in study year five (and beyond for six year courses) which could, in effect, be the fourth or earlier year of the medical or dental course.

If you are intercalating in your fifth year of study you are also eligible to apply for NHS Bursary support, and, if your application is accepted, will receive a bursary for the remaining years of the course as well as the intercalation year.

You are a transitional arrangement student if you are studying on an eligible postgraduate course, part time course, dental therapy course or dental hygiene course starting between 1 August 2017 and 31 July 2018.

If you're a new student starting one of these courses on or after 1 August 2018 please see the update regarding funding for these courses.

Postgraduate, Dental Therapy and Dental Hygiene Students

Students studying on a dental therapy, dental hygiene or postgraduate (including PGDip and MSc) pre-registration healthcare course will be able to apply for an NHS Bursary for 2017/18 if studying on a place commissioned by Health Education England.

New undergraduate students starting part-time courses

Maintenance bursaries are being made available to some new students attending eligible part-time courses that are included in the capping arrangements in 2017/18.

. In order to receive a maintenance bursary, students attending one of the eligible part-time courses commencing from 1 August 2017 onwards must meet the rules set out in the ‘personal eligibility criteria’, Section 2 of the NHS Bursary Scheme – New Rules Sixth Edition, except that:

  • students attending an eligible part time courses must be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the 2017/18 academic year;
  • students must also be in receipt of a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England.  You will be asked to provide confirmation of your funding when you apply for a maintenance bursary. If you are studying on one of these courses, you will need to create a new account on the Bursary Online Support System (BOSS).

Eligible part-time courses

The table below details the part-time courses which attract a maintenance bursary:



University of Brighton

Occupational Therapy

University of Cumbria

Occupational Therapy

University of Salford

Occupational Therapy


University of Huddersfield


Birmingham City University

Speech and Language Therapy

Oxford Brookes University

Adult Nursing

Operating Department Practice

London South Bank University

Occupational Therapy

 Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

If you are attending one of the above eligible part-time courses and require assistance with your studies due to a disability or learning difficulty, you should apply to Student Finance England for DSAs rather than NHSBSA Student Services.

Learning Support Fund (LSF)

Students attending an eligible part-time course can apply for financial support from the Exceptional Support Fund award element of the LSF if they experience severe financial difficulty during training. The other LSF allowances (Child Dependants Allowance and Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses) are not available to this group of students.


If you are returning to study on or after 1 August 2017, check with your university to see if you are eligible to apply for a bursary or whether you should apply to the Student Loans Company for tuition fees and maintenance loans.