Skip to main content Skip to footer

Medical and dental students

Medical and dental students can apply for an NHS bursary in the later years of their course.

If you're studying on a:

  • 5 or 6 year undergraduate course, you can apply from your fifth year of study
  • 3 or 4 year graduate entry course, you can apply from your second year of study

Check the application deadlines to make sure you apply at the right time.

You can find more detailed advice and information about NHS bursary funding, including the full eligibility criteria, in our guidance booklet.

Guidance for Medical and Dental students for the  2021/22 academic year

NHS Bursary funding for Medical and Dental students 2021/22 (PDF: 741KB)

General information about applying for and managing your NHS bursary can be found in the NHS Bursary Students section of this website.


Intercalating years at bachelors or masters (but not PhD) level can count towards the qualifying year of study for NHS Bursary funding.

If you undertake an intercalation year in any of the first four years of an undergraduate programme, the intercalation year will count towards bursary funding, so you may become eligible for NHS bursary support in an earlier study year.

If you're intercalating in your fifth year of study you can apply for NHS bursary support for your intercalation year and any later standard course years.

Our guidance booklet for Medical and Dental students can be accessed from this page. It explains in more detail how intercalation years affect NHS bursary funding.

NHS hardship grant for medical and dental students

A hardship grant is available for medical and dental students. You may be able to claim between £100 and £3,000, depending on your current financial circumstances.

To be eligible to apply you must be:

  • on a course leading to registration as a doctor or dentist
  • eligible for a full bursary (tuition fees, non-means tested grant and any means-tested bursary)
  • in genuine hardship
  • unable to manage any shortfall between your available income and expenditure by your own actions

How to apply for the hardship grant

Your application should be made in writing and it must include:   

  • details and evidence of your income and expenditure
  • signed university approval of your NHS hardship grant application
  • evidence you have applied for other available funding, such as student loans and university hardship funds
  • a copy of your BOSS student coversheet (available to print from the ‘Documents’ section of your BOSS account)

You can email your information to us at Use 'NHS Medical/Dental Hardship application' as your subject heading.

If you prefer, you can post your information to:

The Operations Manager
Student Services
Hesketh House
200-220 Broadway