Skip to main content Skip to footer

What you could get

Means-tested bursary

The amount of means-tested bursary you may receive depends on:

  • where you live during term time
  • the length of your academic year
  • your unearned income during the academic year, if any
  • the income of your parent(s), spouse, civil partner or partner, if you have one

The current maximum means-tested bursary rates for full-time students are:

  • up to £2,207 if you’re living with parents
  • up to £3,191 if you’re studying in London
  • up to £2,643 if you’re studying outside of London

Extra Weeks Allowance

If your course runs for more than 30 weeks and 3 days in the academic year excluding vacation periods, you may also be entitled to Extra Weeks Allowance.

The current maximum rates are:

  • up to £56 per additional week if you’re living with your parents
  • up to £108 per additional week if you’re studying in London
  • up to £84 per additional week if you’re studying outside of London

If you have to attend your course for 45 weeks or more in an academic year, Extra Weeks Allowance will be awarded for 52 weeks of the year.

Extra Weeks Allowance is assessed as part of the means-tested bursary. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances. You may not receive the maximum amount.

See our help and guidance for more information on how the means-tested bursary is assessed.

Non-means tested (NMT) grant

If you’re an eligible full-time student you can apply for a £1,000 per academic year non-means tested (NMT) grant.

It’s awarded automatically to all eligible full-time students, apart from those who have been awarded EU tuition fees only status.
If you’re applying for the NMT Grant only, you don’t need to declare income or complete the additional sections in your BOSS application.

Extra financial help

As well as the NHS bursary, there's extra financial help you can apply for.

Help with childcare costs

If you pay for registered childcare while you attend your course, you can apply for help towards the cost. This is known as the Childcare Allowance.

Childcare Allowance is an additional means of help towards paying for your childcare costs whilst you are in training.  It pays up to 85% of your weekly costs, to set maximum amounts, depending how many children you have in childcare during your academic year. 

Further information about this allowance is available in our guidance booklet below:

Help with Childcare Costs for NHS Bursary Students (PDF: 889KB)


Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)

Our guide to Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) 2018/19 gives an overview of the different elements of the DSAs that students could be entitled to, the maximum rates and how to apply.

Practice Placement Expenses

Our step by step guide to completing your PPE claim form gives you instructions on what you need to do to claim excess travel and / or accommodation expenses incurred while on a practice placement.

Medical and dental students

If you're a student on a medical or dental course, view our information for medical and dental students.