Skip to main content Skip to footer

Partners of a deceased beneficiary

The scheme provides support to spouses, civil partners and long-term partners of a deceased beneficiary.

New claimants

How much you could get

The government has agreed that eligible spouses, civil partners and long-term partners should get a one-off payment of £10,000.

Check if you're eligible

You're eligible if you meet both of the following criteria:

  1. You were married, in a civil partnership or a long-term relationship with your spouse or partner when they died, and you were living together at the time.
  2. Your spouse or partner was allocated as an ‘English’ beneficiary of the Skipton Fund or MFET.

You will not qualify for payment if:

  • you were divorced, your civil partnership had been dissolved, or you were separated at the time.

How to apply

If your spouse or partner died on or after 1 November 2017, you must inform us within 6 months of their death.

To make a claim, you need to download and complete an application form (PDF: 155KB).

Alternatively, we can post an application form to you. To request this, contact us.

We'll ask you to confirm:

  • your identity
  • you were the beneficiary’s spouse or partner
  • you were living with them at the time of their death

To do this you will need:

  • proof of ID (for example, a copy of your passport, driving licence or birth certificate)
  • proof of your current address (for example, a copy of your bank statement or utility bill)
  • death certificate of your late spouse/partner (photocopies are acceptable)
  • evidence to show that you were co-habiting at the time of your spouse/partner's death if this is not stated on the death certificate (for example, a joint bank statement or joint council tax bill), or if not available a completed Referee Form (Appendix 1 of the application form)

What happens next

We'll aim to provide a decision on all applications within 30 working days.

If your application is unsuccessful

If you wish to appeal the decision, you should contact us within 3 months from the date on the letter. We may consider appeals received after 3 months, but only if you can provide a good reason for not contacting us earlier.

Find out how to appeal.

Other claimants

If your spouse or partner was registered on a previous scheme

If your spouse or partner was registered on a previous UK scheme, their details should have been transferred to us if they've consented.

If you need to, you can contact us.

If you're already receiving support

If you've consented, your details will have been transferred to us if you've already been receiving support from the:

  • Caxton Foundation
  • Macfarlane Trust
  • Eileen Trust

If you're eligible for support we'll contact you and send you an application form.

If we have not contacted you, contact us.

If your spouse or partner was not registered on any scheme

If your spouse or partner died before registering with us or a previous scheme, you do not qualify for payment.

Other financial help

If you receive payments from EIBSS, you may be eligible for additional support and discretionary support payments.

You could qualify if you were:

  • a spouse, civil partner or long-term partner of someone infected with hepatitis C or HIV
  • registered with EIBSS
  • not married or in civil partnership, but lived with the beneficiary in a similar relationship
  • not married or in a civil partnership with anyone else at the time
  • living with them when they died and had not divorced or dissolved civil partnership