Below you will find the answers to the most common questions we are asked. If you cannot find the answer to your question below, please see the 'contact details' page on this website for details on how to get in touch with us.
Detailed guidance on all aspects of NHS Bursary support for the 2012/13 academic year can be found in the following booklet Financial Help for Healthcare Students 2012/13. This contains useful information for all existing and prospective NHS students.
All students should read the "Hints and Tips" document below which contains key messages about bursaries.
Hints and Tips about your NHS student bursary
Continuing students may find the following frequently asked questions about their 2012/13 bursary payment helpful:
FAQs for Continuing Students - December 2012
FAQs for all students - November 2012
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the Bursary Online Support System (BOSS) or if you require clarification or guidance on what some of the sections require, please read the most frequently asked questions by clicking on the link directly below. If you still cannot find the answer you are looking for, please visit our Contact Us page.
1. What is a NHS Bursary?
2. Am I eligible for a NHS Bursary?
3. How do I apply for a NHS Bursary?
4. When will I know how much bursary I will receive?
5. How will my bursary be paid?
6. What is an Independent Student?
7. What could I be entitled to? (Students commencing courses on or after 1 September 2012)
8. What could I be entitled to? (Students who started courses before 1 September 2012)
9. What is the Dependants Allowance?
10. What is the Parent Learning Allowance?
11. Am I entitled to help with my childcare costs?
12. Am I entitled to any help due to my disability?
13. Am I entitled to claim back travel or accommodation costs as a result of attending a practice placement? (Students who started their course before 1 September 012 only)
14. Am I entitled to claim back travel or accommodation costs as a result of attending a practice placement? (Students starting courses on or after 1 September 2012 only)
15. What other forms of support could I be entitled to? (All students)
16. What happens if my circumstances change? (All students)
17. Will I be eligible for a NHS Bursary if I have already had public funding for Higher Education?
18. Will I still be eligible for a NHS Bursary if I am attending a part-time course?
19. Can I receive a NHS Bursary if I am being seconded by my employer?
20. Am I entitled to any support if I have to take time off due to pregnancy or adopting a child?
Copyright © 2012 NHSBSA