On 1 April 2015 a new NHS Pension Scheme was introduced which covers all transitioning and new NHS employees. Some members are entitled to remain in the 1995 or 2008 Sections until retirement through the Scheme’s Protection arrangements. The content of this website is being updated in stages to reflect these changes. More information about the 2015 Scheme arrangements can be found here.
Welcome to the members section of the NHS Pension Scheme website.
This section covers every type of NHS worker across both Sections of the Scheme. It explains all the different areas and features of the Scheme along with useful links to help you find your way around.
2015 Scheme Videos - Watch the below videos to understand more about the 2015 Scheme and how it may affect you. If you require subtitles, click on 'CC' in the bottom right hand corner of the video screen.
1. ‘NHS Pensions are changing’ – this video gives an overview of a Career Average Revalued Earnings (CARE) scheme, the benefits the 2015 Scheme offers and where further information can be found. The storyboard and script for this video is available here.
2. ‘Features and benefits of the 2015 Scheme’ – this video goes into greater detail about the main features and benefits of the Scheme, as well as explaining who will be members of the 2015 Scheme and illustrating how benefits are calculated. The storyboard and script for this video is available here.
3. ‘2015 members who have benefits in the 1995/2008 Scheme’ – explains what happens to existing 1995/2008 Scheme benefits, when benefits can be accessed, how benefits are calculated and provides information to those with Special Class and Mental Health Officer Status on how these rights are affected. The storyboard and script for this video is available here.
4. 'Members of the 1995 Section of the 1995/2008 NHS Pension Scheme' - this video gives an overview of the 1995 Section of the 1995/2008 NHS Pension Scheme and where further information can be found. The storyboard and script for this video is available here.
5. 'Members of the 2008 Section of the 1995/2008 NHS Pension Scheme' - this video gives an overview of the 2008 Section of the 1995/2008 NHS Pension Scheme and where further information can be found. The storyboard and script for this video is available here.
Member Identifier - The member identifier will help you understand which NHS Pensions Scheme you are in now and which Scheme you will be in after 1 April 2015.
Members Charter details a list of our core service standards.
Members Infographic - This document sets out all the help and support we currently provide for you.
Did you know? - This infographic gives some facts and figures about NHS Pensions.
1995/2008 Scheme Guide - This guide explains the main features of the 1995/2008 Scheme to you. By reading this guide you should get a good idea of the benefits that the 1995/2008 Scheme provides.
2015 Scheme Guide - This guide explains the main features of the 2015 Scheme which was introduced on 1 April 2015.
Jargon Buster - This guide explains some of the terms used in our communications.
Pension Scheme forms All Pension Scheme forms are available to download in this section.
Joining the Scheme (and Auto-Enrolment)
This section provides information about joining the Scheme and auto-enrolment
Awards Key Notes
Key Notes for NHS Pension Scheme Awards
Membership, Contributions & Pay
NHS Pension Scheme benefits are broadly based on membership and pensionable pay. This section provides more detailed information about membership and pay and the cost of being a member of the Scheme.
Transferring Benefits into the Scheme
This section provides information and the application form for transferring previous pension scheme benefits into the NHS Pension Scheme.
Increasing Your Benefits
There are different ways of increasing your benefits at retirement. This section provides information on the options available.
Requesting an Estimate
This section provides more information about how to obtain an estimate of your NHS Pension Scheme benefits.
In this section you will find a series of calculators to help you work out the levels of payments and benefits associated with your NHS pension, the cost of purchasing Additional Pension, opting out and Annual Allowance calculators.
Life Assurance and Family Benefits
This section provides details of the benefits that may be payable in the event of your death.
This section gives information on the different kinds of benefits payable and how to claim them.
Options on Leaving the Scheme
A number of options are available for those leaving or opting out of the NHS Pension Scheme before reaching pensionable age. This section gives more information about the options available to you.
Pensions on Divorce
This section provides you with the information required if you are divorcing or ending a civil partnership.
Practitioner, Locums, Out of Hours and Non-GP Providers
This section provides information for General Practitioners, Locums, Out of Hours & Non GP Providers.
This section provides details about Annual Allowance, Lifetime Allowance and other tax considerations and how these may affect you.
NHS Pensions publish the Member Newsletter quarterly
This facility allows you to look up contact details for current or previous NHS employers.
Independent Financial Advice
Information and contact details for members who are considering seeking indepedent financial advice.