Skip to main content Skip to footer

Claim a refund for treatment costs

You can claim a refund for any state-funded medically necessary treatment you paid for while visiting another country. 

Some countries ask patients to pay a contribution towards the cost of their care, such as for prescription costs. This means that you may need to pay for services that you would normally get for free on the NHS. This is known as a co-payment or patient contribution.

Depending on the country you visit, you may be expected to pay for some, or all, of your treatment upfront and then claim a refund afterwards.

You can claim back the difference between the total bill and the co-payment, but the co-payment is not refundable. 

Keep all receipts and any paperwork. You or your insurance company may need them if you apply for a refund.

Claim a refund

Download and complete the Refund claim form (PDF: 708KB)

If you need help or have any questions about completing this form, contact us: 

Telephone: 0191 218 1999
Telephone from outside the UK: +44 191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call chargesIf English is not your first language, phone this number and we will provide an interpretation service over the phone.

What you’ll need to provide

To support your claim form, you’ll need to provide:

  • all original invoices
  • proof of any payments that you have made

Each individual treatment period should be submitted on a separate claim form and must include the signed and dated declaration. 

We retain this information once your claim is settled. 

Charges will be reimbursed according to the rules and rates of the country where the treatment was received. These are based on what a resident of that country would need to pay.

If you have not paid any treatment costs 

You cannot claim a refund if you have not paid for treatment, as you’ll need to provide receipts to make a claim. 

We cannot reimburse the costs for any treatment received at a private facility.

If you used your UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC), any costs attached to this process will be automatically refunded to the country in which you received treatment.