Skip to main content Skip to footer

Giving birth outside the UK

If you want to give birth in an EU country or Switzerland, you'll need:

•    to download and fill in the Giving birth abroad application form (PDF: 136KB)

•    a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

The Giving birth abroad application form covers you for maternity care and delivery only. The UK GHIC, existing EHIC or new UK EHIC is for any other state-provided healthcare treatment that you or your child may need in the EU or Switzerland.

Even if you plan to give birth in the UK and you're only going for a short trip abroad, you're advised to take a valid card with you. The card will provide cover for all medical treatment linked to the birth if the baby is born unexpectedly.

The UK GHIC, existing EHIC or new UK EHIC may not cover you for every situation. You should always take out comprehensive travel insurance when going overseas, both to EU and non-EU destinations. Check your insurance has the necessary healthcare cover or talk with your GP and insurer about how to get the right cover, and how this affects your travel.

Giving birth in Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Norway

You may be able to apply for funding to give birth in Iceland, Liechtenstein, or Norway (as well as EU countries and Switzerland) if you’re:

  • an EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein national, and you have lived in the UK since before 1 January 2021
  • a UK State Pensioner or receiving some other exportable benefits, and you have lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland since before 1 January 2021
  • a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another), and you have been one since before 1 January 2021, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state
  • a family member or dependant of one of the above

How to apply for funding for giving birth abroad

Complete the Giving birth abroad funding application form (PDF: 136KB)

You’ll need to send this to us along with a copy of your maternity certificate (MAT B1) and any other supporting documents.

Email your application to

Attach any documents as PDF attachments. Do not email embedded documents.

You can also send these by post to:
S2 applications
Overseas Healthcare Services
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

If you need help with your application

If you need help or have any questions about filling in this form, call us: 

Telephone: 0191 218 1999
Telephone from outside the UK: +44 191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call chargesAn interpretation service can be provided over the phone if English is not your first language.