Skip to main content Skip to footer

Financial and support services

Financial Support

If you live in the UK, payments from the England Infected Blood Support Scheme (EIBSS) will not affect your tax and benefits.

Income Tax

Any lump sum or regular payments from the scheme, such as annual payments or income top-up support, are not taxable. This means that EIBSS does not need to deduct Income Tax from your payments.

You do not need to declare the payments in any income tax return you submit to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).


Payments from the scheme do not count when applying for any of the following means-tested benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP):

  • Income support.
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA).
  • State Pension Credit.
  • Housing Benefit.
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
  • Universal Credit.

This means that your income and any grants from the scheme are not taken into account when DWP assesses your application.

You're still required to declare to DWP any payments that you receive from the scheme.  

If you do not tell DWP about payments received from the scheme, they will not be able to determine what money they should ignore. This might mean any benefits that depend on the amount of money you have could be affected.

Council Tax

Any payments that you receive from EIBSS should be ignored when calculating your income and any capital you have (such as savings) if you apply to your local council for a reduction in your council tax bill.

If you get queries about your income from the scheme

If you get any queries from authorities such as DWP, HMRC or your local council, you can inform them of this guidance.

If you have further problems or they invite you to formal interview, let us know. We can provide you with a letter to confirm payments you have received from us. We'll tell these authorities to disregard our payments to you.

Other financial services

There are many services which can offer advice on managing your money and finances:

Other services that can help

There is a range of support services available for you to access to provide advice and information. 

HIV support 

Terrence Higgins Trust

The Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) provides resources for people living with HIV and those newly diagnosed. You can contact THT for support, advice and information by:

Telephone: 0808 802 1221


Positively UK

Positively UK provides peer-led support, advocacy and information to everyone living with HIV to effectively manage any aspect of their diagnosis, care and life with HIV. You can contact them by

Telephone: 0207 7713 044


National Aids Trust

National Aids Trust is a registered charity that champion the rights of people living with HIV and campaign for change. 

Hepatitis C support

The Hepatitis C Trust 

The Hepatitis C Trust is a patient-led and patient-run organisation. There is a confidential national telephone helpline service on 020 7089 6221 or you can email them at ​​​​​​

Haemophilia support 

The Haemophilia Society is a UK-wide charity for all those affected by a genetic bleeding disorder - a community of individuals and families, healthcare professionals and supporters.  You can contact them by:

Telephone: 020 7939 0780


Bereavement support

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse Bereavement Care is a national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. You can contact their telephone helpline on 0808 808 1677. 

Bereavement UK

Bereavement UK provides bereavement support and information. You can contact them by email at