Skip to main content Skip to footer

Manage your NHS student bursary

When your Bursary Online Support System (BOSS) account is set up, you can access it whenever you need to.

If you are registering your account for the first time, please make sure you are eligible for an NHS Bursary. This can be done by checking with your university you are on an NHS Bursary funded course and using our personal eligibility calculator.

Log in to BOSS

In BOSS you can:

  • view your payment dates and annual entitlement
  • submit a new bursary application or a re-application
  • monitor the overall status of your application
  • notify us of a change in circumstances to a current bursary application
  • apply for Dependants’ Allowance
  • apply for Disabled Students Allowance (except for students on part-time courses)
  • change the bank details you want your bursary to be paid into
  • view the supporting evidence you’re required to submit with your application
  • download a student coversheet which must be sent off with any supporting evidence, paper forms and other correspondence that you send us

Bursary forms that aren't in BOSS

There are some forms that you can't complete in BOSS. You need to print these and post them back to us

Childcare Allowance

If you incur childcare costs, you can apply for Childcare Allowance. The form must be countersigned by your childcare provider or we cannot accept it.

Childcare allowance application form 2017 (244KB)

Reconciling your childcare costs

If you've been awarded Childcare Allowance, we reconcile your childcare costs quarterly.

Please complete and send us the correct form and any evidence together with your student coversheet to:

NHS Student Bursaries, Childcare, PO Box 2253, Bolton, BL6 9HX


Childcare reconciliation form Quarter 1 (29 August 2016 - 27 November 2016) (222KB)

Childcare reconciliation form Quarter 2 (28 November 2016 to 26 February 2017) (240KB)

Childcare reconciliation form Quarter 3 (27 February 2017 to 28 May 2017) (242KB)


Childcare reconciliation form Quarter 4 (30 May 2016 - 28 August 2016) (227KB)

Practice placement expenses

If you started your course before 1 August 2017, you may be able to get help with your travel and accommodation costs whilst on a practice placement. Please make sure you read our guidance notes before making a claim.

Practice placement expenses (travel and accommodation) claim form 2016/17 (988KB)

Guide to completing your PPE claim form (918KB)

Temporary DSA

If your university is unable to provide the Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) support you require and you have submitted a formal appeal to them, we may be able to offer temporary support to you whilst your appeal is being decided by your university.

Request for temporary DSAs support (110KB)

Current Income Assessment

If your parents' or spouse/partner's income has dropped by 15% or more compared to the previous tax year your bursary may be reassessed.

Current income assessment form (PSM1 CI) (148KB)

Confirmation of pay

You need to complete the confirmation of pay form if you don’t have a P60 or a week 52 payslip:

Confirmation of pay form (PSM60) (210KB)

Confirmation of Personal (Private) Pension Contribution

You need to complete this form if you’re paying into a personal pension plan (not a company pension scheme). Please note tax relief must be quoted.

Confirmation of personal (private) pension contributions paid (PSM90) (206KB)

Self assessed income

The Declaration of Self Assessment Income Form (PSM65) is no longer accepted as a valid confirmation of self-assessed income. If you need to confirm your income from self-assessment, please provide the most recent of the following documents:

•  personal tax calculation/computation statement from HMRC
•  self-assessment tax return
•  statement of accounts
•  accountant’s letter

Reapply for your bursary

If you already receive a bursary, we'll email you to invite you to reapply and let you know when the deadlines are.

  • Invites are always sent by email with a letter attached.
  • Check your junk mail regularly.

If you complete your online BOSS form and send in your supporting evidence and student coversheet within the deadline, your bursary payments will be in place for the start of the next academic year. If you miss the deadline, your payments will be delayed.

In all cases, we must receive your bursary application, including all your supporting evidence, within six months of the start of the academic year.

Don’t create a new BOSS account

It’s important that all continuing students use their current BOSS log in details to reapply and must not create a new BOSS account.

When we’ll invite you to reapply

Application windows Autumn 2017 (non-medical / dental continuing students)

What type of student are you? Date we'll email your invite to apply Deadline to post your application and supporting evidence
Fees only 21-22 February 2017 7 April 2017
Single, independent students 7 March 2017 14 April 2017
Dependants allowance and childcare allowance 4 April 2017 12 May 2017
All other 25 - 27 April 2017 16 June 2017


Bursary payment dates

Your bursary is paid into your bank account monthly on the third Friday of the month.

New students

You’ll receive your first bursary payment within 10 working days of us receiving confirmation that you have started your course (provided you sent us your application form and supporting information by the deadline).

Your first payment will be for two months’ worth of bursary and then the remaining payments will be paid on the third Friday of each month.

Continuing students

Provided we received your application within the deadline, your payments will not be disrupted and you'll continue to be paid on the third Friday of each month.

Payment dates

The remaining payment dates for the 2016-17 academic year are:

  • 20 January 2017
  • 17 February 2017
  • 17 March 2017
  • 21 April 2017
  • 19 May 2017
  • 16 June 2017
  • 21 July 2017
  • 18 August 2017

Change of circumstances

You can use the change of circumstances form in BOSS as soon as you have submitted an application.

The form can be used to tell us about:

  • change of name
  • change of address
  • change of telephone number
  • change of marital status (if already cohabiting prior to marriage)
  • applying for a new childcare allowance claim if you did not apply on your main application, a paper BOSS CCA form will also be needed for this
  • changes to childcare provider or cost during the academic year, a childcare reconciliation form will also be needed for this . If any of the new costs claimed are within a Childcare Reconciliation period that has already ended, you must also send receipts for that period
  • a change in childcare arrangements – if you’re no longer paying for childcare, you need to give written confirmation giving the date that you last used the childcare provider
  • amendments / additions to your dependant children
  • amendments / additions to your own income / expenses