When your Bursary Online Support System (BOSS) account is set up, you can access it whenever you need to.
If you are registering your account for the first time, please make sure you are eligible for an NHS Bursary. This can be done by checking with your university you are on an NHS Bursary funded course and using our personal eligibility calculator.
In BOSS you can:
- view your payment dates and annual entitlement
- submit a new bursary application or a re-application
- monitor the overall status of your application
- notify us of a change in circumstances to a current bursary application
- apply for Dependants’ Allowance
- apply for Disabled Students Allowance (except for students on part-time courses)
- change the bank details you want your bursary to be paid into
- view the supporting evidence you’re required to submit with your application
- download a student coversheet which must be sent off with any supporting evidence, paper forms and other correspondence that you send us
Bursary forms that aren't in BOSS
There are some forms that you can't complete in BOSS. You need to print these and post them back to us
If you incur childcare costs, you can apply for Childcare Allowance. The form must be countersigned by your childcare provider or we cannot accept it.
Reconciling your childcare costs
If you've been awarded Childcare Allowance, we reconcile your childcare costs quarterly. Please complete and send us the correct form along with your student coversheet.
Practice placement expenses
If you started your course before 1 August 2017, you may be able to get help with your travel and accommodation costs whilst on a practice placement. Please make sure you read our guidance notes before making a claim.
If your university is unable to provide the Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) support you require and you have submitted a formal appeal to them, we may be able to offer temporary support to you whilst your appeal is being decided by your university.
Current Income Assessment
If your parents' or spouse/partner's income has dropped by 15% or more compared to the previous tax year your bursary may be reassessed.
Confirmation of pay
You need to complete the confirmation of pay form if you don’t have a P60 or a week 52 payslip:
Confirmation of Personal (Private) Pension Contribution
You need to complete this form if you’re paying into a personal pension plan (not a company pension scheme). Please note tax relief must be quoted.
Self assessed income
The Declaration of Self Assessment Income Form (PSM65) is no longer accepted as a valid confirmation of self-assessed income. If you need to confirm your income from self-assessment, please provide the most recent of the following documents:
• personal tax calculation/computation statement from HMRC
• self-assessment tax return
• statement of accounts
• accountant’s letter
Reapply for your bursary
If you already receive a bursary, we'll email you to invite you to reapply and let you know when the deadlines are.
- Invites are always sent by email with a letter attached.
- Check your junk mail regularly.
If you complete your online BOSS form and send in your supporting evidence and student coversheet within the deadline, your bursary payments will be in place for the start of the next academic year. If you miss the deadline, your payments will be delayed.
In all cases, we must receive your bursary application, including all your supporting evidence, within six months of the start of the academic year.
Don’t create a new BOSS account
It’s important that all continuing students use their current BOSS log in details to reapply and must not create a new BOSS account.
When we’ll invite you to reapply
Application windows Autumn 2017 (non-medical / dental continuing students)
|What type of student are you?||Date we'll email your invite to apply||Deadline to post your application and supporting evidence|
|Fees only||21-22 February 2017||7 April 2017|
|Single, independent students||7 March 2017||14 April 2017|
|Dependants allowance and childcare allowance||4 April 2017||12 May 2017|
|All other||25 - 27 April 2017||16 June 2017|
Bursary payment dates
Your bursary is paid into your bank account monthly on the third Friday of the month.
You’ll receive your first bursary payment within 10 working days of us receiving confirmation that you have started your course (provided you sent us your application form and supporting information by the deadline).
Your first payment will be for two months’ worth of bursary and then the remaining payments will be paid on the third Friday of each month.
Provided we received your application within the deadline, your payments will not be disrupted and you'll continue to be paid on the third Friday of each month.
The remaining payment dates for the 2016-17 academic year are:
- 20 January 2017
- 17 February 2017
- 17 March 2017
- 21 April 2017
- 19 May 2017
- 16 June 2017
- 21 July 2017
- 18 August 2017
Change of circumstances
You can use the change of circumstances form in BOSS as soon as you have submitted an application.
The form can be used to tell us about:
- change of name
- change of address
- change of telephone number
- change of marital status (if already cohabiting prior to marriage)
- applying for a new childcare allowance claim if you did not apply on your main application, a paper BOSS CCA form will also be needed for this
- changes to childcare provider or cost during the academic year, a childcare reconciliation form will also be needed for this . If any of the new costs claimed are within a Childcare Reconciliation period that has already ended, you must also send receipts for that period
- a change in childcare arrangements – if you’re no longer paying for childcare, you need to give written confirmation giving the date that you last used the childcare provider
- amendments / additions to your dependant children
- amendments / additions to your own income / expenses