Skip to main content Skip to footer

Manage your NHS Bursary

BOSS will be unavailable from midday on Tuesday 25 June

This is due to essential maintenance.

Once you have your bursary, you can log in to BOSS, check your payment dates, tell us about a change of circumstances and download the forms you need.

If you are registering your account for the first time, please make sure you are eligible for an NHS Bursary. This can be done by checking with your university you are on an NHS Bursary funded course. Medical and Dental students can also use our personal eligibility calculator.

Log in to BOSS

In BOSS you can:

  • view your payment dates and annual entitlement
  • submit a new bursary application or reapply for a bursary
  • monitor the overall status of your application
  • notify us of a change in circumstances to a current bursary application
  • apply for Disabled Students Allowances 
  • change the bank details you want your bursary to be paid into
  • view the supporting evidence you’re required to submit with your application
  • download a student coversheet which must be sent off with any supporting evidence, paper forms and other correspondence that you send us

Check your NHS Bursary dates

Your bursary is paid into your bank account monthly on the third Friday of the month.

New students

You’ll receive your first bursary payment within 10 working days of us receiving confirmation that you have started your course (provided you sent us your application form and supporting information by the deadline).

Your first payment will be for two months’ worth of bursary and then the remaining payments will be paid on the third Friday of each month.

Continuing students

Provided we received your application within the deadline, your payments will not be disrupted and you'll continue to be paid on the third Friday of each month.


Tell us about a change of circumstances

If there has been a change to your circumstances you must get in touch and let us know as soon as possible.  You can do this via the Change of Circumstances section on your BOSS account.


The form can be used to tell us about:

  • change of name
  • change of address
  • change of telephone number
  • change of marital status (if already cohabiting prior to marriage)
  • applying for a new childcare allowance claim if you did not apply on your main application, a paper BOSS CCA form will also be needed for this
  • changes to childcare provider or cost during the academic year, a childcare reconciliation form will also be needed for this . If any of the new costs claimed are within a Childcare Reconciliation period that has already ended, you must also send receipts for that period
  • a change in childcare arrangements – if you’re no longer paying for childcare, you need to give written confirmation giving the date that you last used the childcare provider
  • changes to your dependant children
  • changes to your own income / expenses

It is important you let us know so we can reassess your bursary entitlement and let you know if there has been an overpayment or underpayment. If an overpayment occurs we will contact you to inform you how the repayment will be recovered. If you are due additional funds as a result of your changing circumstances, these will be added to your next bursary payment.

Withdrawing from your course

If you are withdrawing from your course either temporarily or permanently, please inform your university and then call us on 0300 330 1345 as soon as possible so we can hold any further bursary payments on your account to prevent an overpayment. If an overpayment has already been made, we will be in touch to discuss repayment options with you. If you are due any bursary payment, this will be released once we have completed a withdrawal calculation.