Find out about the funding available for social work students and how to apply.
The Social Work Bursary:
- can help with study and living costs
- is a grant not a loan
- gets paid into your bank account at the start of each term, if you are eligible
- is only available to students who meet the course and residency criteria
- is subject to capping, so the number of students who can receive a bursary is limited
- must be applied for each academic year
Social Work Bursary guidance
Before you apply
Read through the guidance booklet for the year you’re applying for.
When to apply
If your academic year starts from 1 September to 31 December, you must submit your application by 31 October 2022.
If your academic year starts from 1 January onwards, you must submit your application by 17 February 2023.
If your academic year starts from 1 March onwards, you must submit your application by 24 March 2023
Applications received after the relevant date will not be accepted.
How to apply for the 2022/23 academic year
If you’re a new Social Work Bursary student, you should apply for your bursary for the 2022/23 academic year at the earliest opportunity. We encourage you to submit your application to us by 31 July to guarantee payment for September.
Continuing Social Work Bursary students can access their existing MyFunding account:
Uploading a document to your MyFunding account for the 2022/23 academic year only
The selected file must be:
- a JPG, BMP, PNG, TIF or PDF
- an original version which displays the document in full
- clear and in focus
- in colour
- unaltered by computer software
- at least 50KB and no more than 8 MB
If the document does not meet this criteria your application will be rejected.