Once you have your bursary, you can check your payment dates and keep us updated about your circumstances.
Change of circumstances
It’s important that you let us know straight away if your personal circumstances change so we can keep your details up to date. This is especially important for postgraduate students as a change in circumstances could affect the amount of bursary you receive.
You should notify us about a change of:
- address or contact details
- bank details
- course or university
- course attendance, for example if there is a break in training or period of interruption
Postgraduate students also need to let us know about a change of:
- living arrangement
- income relating to additional allowances, for example, Adult Dependants Allowance
- childcare arrangements or additional children
Change of address or contact details
- Online: fill in the online form
- Phone: 0300 330 1342
- By sending us a message on either Facebook or Twitter @SWB_NHSBSA
Change of bank details
- Complete a Notification of change of bank account form and post it back to us.
Change of childcare costs or provider (postgraduate students)
- Complete a new Childcare Allowance application form and post it back to us, together with a covering letter.
Change of living arrangements
If you marry, divorce, separate or move in with a partner, you may need to inform us as your bursary may be made up of elements that are income assessed or make allowances for dependents
You’ll need to make a new application if the change affects your bursary entitlement. If you aren’t sure, please contact us.
Write to us at:
Social Work Bursaries
PO Box 141
Bursary payment dates
Autumn 2016 starters
Winter 2017 starters
|1st||We'll pay your first instalment within 10 working days of receiving confirmation you've started your course (or within 10 working days from the date of your bursary notification letter if it's later).|
|2nd||6 January 2017||13 April 2017|
|3rd||13 April 2017||7 August 2017|
Postgraduate allowance payment dates
Placement Travel Allowance (PTA)
- If you’re on the capping list, your PTA will be included in your monthly bursary instalments.
- If you’re eligible but not on the capping list, your PTA will usually be paid in one instalment within 10 working days of us receiving confirmation that you‘ve started your course.
Childcare Allowance (CA)
Your CA will be paid in 3 installments:
|Instalment||Date normally paid by:|
We'll pay your first instalment within 10 working days of receiving confirmation you've started your course (or within 10 working days from the date of your bursary notification letter if it's later).
|2nd||After your childcare provider has verified the amount spent the previous term.|
|3rd||After your childcare provider has verified the amount spent the previous term.|
Additional financial help available
For undergraduates, the only financial help we offer is the basic bursary. You should contact Student Finance England to find out about any additional support you may be entitled to.
For postgraduates, you may be able to apply for additional allowances.