Information for healthcare students attending pre-registration courses in England on or after 1 August 2017.
- nursing (adult, child, mental health, learning disability, joint nursing/social work)
- occupational therapy
- operating department practitioner
- orthotics and prosthetics
- radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- speech and language therapy
From 1 August 2018 new students attending a pre-registration Postgraduate healthcare course, Dental Therapy or Dental Hygiene course will also be eligible to apply for funding support from the Learning Support Fund.
There are 5 Dental Therapy/Dental Hygiene courses that are the exception to this and students on courses at the following institutions are eligible to apply for an NHS Bursary and as such cannot claim LSF:
- Birmingham Dental Hospital and School of Dentistry
- Bristol Dental School
- Eastman Dental Hospital
- Greater Manchester School for Dental Care Professionals
- King's College Hospital Foundation Trust
New students are defined as those starting a course:
- for the first time on 1 August 2017 or later (undergraduate)
- on 1 August 2017 or later, as a full-time student, having transferred from a previous designated part-time course or full-time distance learning course which started before 1 August 2017
- for the first time on 1 August 2018 or later (Postgraduate and most Dental Therapy and Dental Hygiene courses)
New student funding
The government will provide additional funding support to healthcare students starting their course from September 2020. Visit our new student funding page for the latest information. You can also sign up online to receive the latest updates by email.