Postgraduate social work students can apply for a bursary to help them with their living costs.
If you’re eligible for a bursary we’ll also pay a contribution of £4,052, in the 2019/20 academic year, towards your tuition fees.
A postgraduate social work bursary is:
- awarded to eligible students
- available to both part-time and full-time students
- not paid back
- made up of a basic grant (non means tested) and a maintenance grant (means tested so the amount you get will depend on your circumstances)
For 2019/20 the basic grant rate is:
- up to £3,362.50 a year if you attend a university outside of London
- up to £3,762.50 if you attend a university within the London area
For 2019/20 the maintenance grant (means tested) rate is:
- up to £2,721 a year if you attend a university outside of London
- up to £4,201 a year if you attend a university within the London area
This is paid pro rata for eligible part-time students.
The social work bursary includes a contribution towards your placement travel costs. If your placement provider also contributes towards your travel costs, this will not affect your bursary entitlement.
You may be able to apply for:
- The Adult Dependants Allowance (ADA)
- Childcare Allowance (CCA)
- Parents Learning Allowance (PLA)
- Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)
Before you apply
View the guidance booklet.
When to apply
Continuing students and new students starting courses from September 2019 can now create a MyFunding account.
How to apply
- Log into our online student portal MyFunding.
- Complete the bursary application form online.
- Print the form off and post it to us with any supporting documentation.
You can view our MyFunding guide for students (PDF 1.04MB).
You have until 1 November 2019 to submit your social work bursary application and any supporting evidence we ask you to send.
What happens next
We aim to deal with your application within 20 working days from the day we receive the form and all supporting evidence.
You can track the progress of your application by logging in to your MyFunding account.
Forms you might need
The Childcare Allowance application form for 2019/20 can be found on your MyFunding account.
Reconciling your childcare costs
If you've been awarded childcare allowance, we reconcile your childcare costs quarterly. Complete and send us the correct form along with your student coversheet.
Social work bursary childcare reconciliation form - December 2017 to May 2018 (PDF: 225KB)Social work bursary childcare reconciliation form - May to August 2018 (PDF: 285KB)Social work bursary childcare reconciliation form - August to December 2018 (PDF: 287KB)Social work bursary childcare reconciliation form - December 2018 to May 2019 (PDF: 311KB)
Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs)
DSAs are available for postgraduate social work students to help pay towards the extra costs they may incur as a direct result of a disability, long-term health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.
The DSAs application form is available from your MyFunding account.
Evidence of income
You may also need to complete the following forms if you cannot provide evidence of a spouse, partner or civil partner’s income or benefits, where applicable.