Find out how to apply for an undergraduate social work bursary and what help you could get.
Undergraduate students can apply for a bursary to help them with their living costs and tuition fees from their second year of study.
- are given to eligible students who have completed their first year of study
- don’t depend on your household income
- don’t have to be paid back
- are paid into your bank at the start of each term
What you’ll get
For 2017/18 the basic bursary rate is:
- £4,862.50 if you attend a university outside of London
- £5,262.50 if you attend a university inside of London
The rate is pro rata for part time students.
Before you apply
Please read through the student booklets for the year you’re applying for. They’ll help with the application process and also provide useful information that you might need during the year.
How to apply
You need to print and complete the application form and post it back to us.
Social Work Bursaries
PO Box 141
When to apply
- For courses that start in September 2017 you can apply now. The deadline for applications is 1 November 2017.
- For courses that start in January 2018 you can apply now. The deadline for applications is 14 February 2018.
- Applications received after the deadline won’t be considered.
What happens next
Once we have your application form and any necessary supporting information, we’ll write to you to let you know your bursary entitlement.
We aim to deal with your application within 20 working days from the day we receive the form and all supporting evidence.
The bursary includes a contribution towards your placement travel costs. If the agency offering your placement also contributes towards your travel costs, this won’t affect your bursary entitlement.
You’re responsible for paying your own tuition fees. You can use your grant for this or apply for a loan through Student Finance England.
If you’re receiving a bursary retainer, the organisation paying the retainer needs to complete the bursary retainer form and return it to us.
Bursary retainer declaration form (114KB)