Eligible undergraduate students can apply for a social work bursary to help them with their living costs and tuition fees from their second year of study. In the first year of the course, funding may be available through Student Finance England.
An undergraduate social work bursary is:
- awarded to eligible students who have completed their first year of study
- not assessed on household income
- a grant not a loan
- paid into your bank account at the start of each term
The basic bursary rates are:
- £4,862.50 if you attend a university outside of London
- £5,262.50 if you attend a university within the London area
This is paid on a pro rata basis for eligible part time students.
The social work bursary includes a contribution towards your placement travel costs. If your placement provider also contributes towards your travel costs, this will not affect your bursary entitlement.
You’re responsible for paying your own tuition fees. You can use your social work bursary for this or apply for a tuition fee loan through Student Finance England.