Skip to main content Skip to footer

Replacement dental appliances

If you need a replacement for a lost or broken NHS denture, bridge or orthodontic appliance, your dental practice will charge you.

The current charge is £95.70 per appliance.

You will have to pay the NHS charge even if you normally qualify for free or reduced cost NHS dental services, but you may be able to claim a refund if:

  • paying the charge caused you undue financial hardship, or
  • you took reasonable care of the appliance

To claim a refund download and print the form FP17R11 (PDF: 95KB) and send it with your receipts to: 

Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

Make sure you complete part 2 with details of how the appliance was lost or broken and send your original receipt, not photocopies. If you have lost your receipt you can ask for a duplicate from your dental practice.

The claim form asks for your bank details as BACS transfer is the quickest way for your refund to be paid. We will not use this information for any other purpose or pass it to a third party. Check that your bank details are correct before you send your form.

A refund can be made by Postal Order if you do not have a bank account but this will take longer than payment by BACS or cheque.

If your appliance needs to be replaced due to wear and tear or because your clinical needs have changed, the normal band 3 charge will apply unless you are entitled to free or reduced cost NHS dental services.