Skip to main content Skip to footer

Information for patients

How to find an NHS dentist

To find an NHS dentist, visit:

For help accessing an NHS dentist in an emergency or out of hours, visit:

What NHS dental treatment is available

Your NHS dentist will provide any clinically necessary treatment needed to keep your mouth, teeth, and gums healthy and free of pain.

Find out what NHS dental treatment is available on NHS.UK.

What treatment is clinically necessary for you is based on your dentist’s judgement.

Read more about what happens when you visit an NHS dentist, personal dental treatment plans and missed appointments.

Cost of NHS dental treatment

The cost of your dental treatment depends on what treatment you need.

Some people do not have to pay for their NHS dental treatment. Find out who is entitled to free NHS dental treatment.

There are 3 NHS charge bands, the cost of each band is different in England and Wales.

Find out what the charge for each band:

Applying for a refund

If you pay NHS dental treatment charges then find out that you’re entitled to free or reduced cost treatment, you can claim a refund. You must make your refund claim within three months of paying charges.

Find out how to apply for a refund of your NHS dental charges on help with dental costs.

Replacement dental appliance

If you need a replacement for a lost or broken NHS denture, bridge or orthodontic appliance, your dental practice will charge you.

You will have to pay the NHS charge even if you normally qualify for free or reduced cost NHS dental services, but you may be able to claim a refund if either:

  • paying the charge caused you undue financial hardship
  • you took reasonable care of the appliance

Find out how to apply for a replacement appliance refund.

Complain about an NHS dental practice

If you want to make a complaint about a dentist or dental practice, try to resolve it directly with them first by asking for a copy of their complaint procedure.

If you do not want to complain to your practice, you can raise this with the NHS directly:

Dental practices in England

If you would rather not go directly to your dental practice, you can contact your local Integrated Care Board (ICB).  

Find your local integrated care board (ICB).

Find out more about how to feedback or make a complaint about an NHS service.

Dental practices in Wales

To raise a complaint in Wales contact your Local Health Board (LHB).

If you're not happy with the outcome

If you’re not happy with the outcome of your complaint, you can raise this with the relevant Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman can only deal with a complaint after you have followed the complaints procedure at your practice, or with your ICB (England) or LHB (Wales).

The Ombudsman for England is the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman for Wales is the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.