Skip to main content Skip to footer

Universal Credit

Not everyone getting Universal Credit is entitled to help with their health costs.

You are only entitled if your take-home pay in your last assessment period was:

  • £435 or less
  • £935 or less if your Universal Credit includes a payment for a child, or you have a limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity

If you claim Universal Credit as a couple, the take-home pay limit applies to the joint income of you and your partner.

If your working hours and income change it’s important to regularly check if you are entitled.

The last assessment period is the one that ended immediately before the date you claim help with health costs. It runs for a calendar month.

If you are entitled because you get Universal Credit and your latest take-home pay is under the limit, you get:

Show your Universal Credit award notice to prove you’re entitled.