A prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) lets you get as many NHS prescriptions as you need for a set price.
If you regularly pay prescription charges, a PPC could save you money.
The prescription charge in England is £8.80 per item.
A PPC costs:
- £29.10 for 3 months
- £104 for 12 months
The quickest way to buy a PPC is to buy it online.
How much you can save
|Number of prescribed medicines you need each month||Saving with a 12 month PPC||Saving with a 3 month PPC|
|2||Over £105 a year||Over £20 in 3 months|
|3||Over £210 a year||Over £50 in 3 months|
|4||Over £315 a year||Over £75 in 3 months|
Other ways to apply
In a pharmacy registered to sell PPCs
Complete the application form (FP95) (PDF: 178KB) available from the pharmacy and pay at the till.
You won’t be able to pay for a 12-month PPC by Direct Debit.
The pharmacy will send your details to us and you should receive your PPC within 7 days.
Your PPC will start from the date of purchase, unless you ask for a different start date.
This can be up to one month earlier or later than the date we receive your application.
You can download the list of pharmacies that sell PPCs (PDF: 289KB).
If you need support to buy a PPC, you can call us on: 0300 330 1341.
You will need your:
- debit or credit card details if you want to pay in full
- bank or building society account details if you’re paying for a 12-month PPC by Direct Debit
Your PPC will start from the date we receive your phone call, unless you ask for a different start date.
This can be up to one month earlier or later than the date of your phone call.
Complete the application form (FP95) (PDF: 178KB) which is also available in pharmacies and
You will need to sign the completed form and send it back to the address included.
We aim to process postal applications within 3 working days of receiving the form.
Your PPC will start from the date we receive your postal application, unless you ask for a different date. This can be up to one month earlier or later than the date we receive your application.
How you can pay
You can pay for a PPC by:
- Direct Debit (online or by telephone)
- card payment (online or by telephone)
- at the till (in pharmacy)
- cheque or postal order (by post)
To pay by Direct Debit
You can only set up Direct Debit for a 12-month PPC.
- spreading the cost by paying for your PPC in 10 monthly instalments
- automatic renewal of your PPC
If a Direct Debit is set up, you should remember:
- you’re entering into a commitment to pay all of the instalments
- we may apply penalty charges if you use your PPC after failing to pay an instalment
- you can’t choose the date we collect your first instalment
- you can change your monthly payment date after we take your first instalment
- where Direct Debit instalments are ‘unpaid due to insufficient funds’, we may try to take payment again within 10 working days
We will send you a letter showing the amount we will debit from your bank or building society account each month.
Your PPC should arrive within 10 working days after we collect your first payment.
Refunds for prescription charges already paid
If you’ve applied for a PPC and pay prescription charges while waiting for it to arrive, you can get a refund as long as:
- you ask for an refund form (FP57) when you pay, as you can’t get one later
- the start date of your PPC is the same or earlier than the date you pay for your prescription
PPCs can be backdated by up to one month. You must claim your refund within 3 months of paying.
The refund form (FP57) tells you what to do.
Check if your certificate is still valid
You can check if your prescription prepayment certificate is still valid or will expire soon.
You should contact us if you need to replace your PPC, change your name or address, or claim a refund for your PPC.
If you lose or damage your certificate, contact us. We can send you a replacement.
You’ll receive your replacement certificate within 10 working days.
Change of name or address
If your address changes, contact us so we can update our records.
If your name changes, we will update your certificate.
You will need to send us your existing certificate, plus a:
- marriage certificate
- civil partnership certificate
- deed poll
- Decree Absolute
Our address is:
NHS Business Services Authority
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne