If you’re a provider in Wales, you’ll know that changes to FP17Ws were introduced from 1 April 2022.
Summary of changes introduced from 1 April 2022
From 1 April 2022, the following changes were introduced on FP17Ws:
- some data items were removed or updated
- new data items were made available on FP17Ws
- validation changes were made to the Welsh Free Exam for those aged under 25/ or aged 60 or over
- validation changes to ACORN
- the clinical data set item reported on the FP17W needs to match the Band
UDA-only contract holders reporting for 2022/23
If you hold a UDA-only default contract, you can submit your FP17Ws without ACORN data. However, you must consider the following situations:
- If the ACORN Assessment Carried Out indicator is present, you still need to submit the relevant ACORN elements.
- If the ACORN Assessment Carried Out indicator is not present but some or all ACORN elements are on the claim, you will get a comment or two on your summary of forms processed (part of the performer schedule).
- If the ACORN Assessment Carried Out indicator is not present, you must still have the new exam code present with either Exam Not Possible, Interim Care Review or Exam Not Necessary. The claim will not be validated if one of the three examination options is missing.
Clinical Data Set and treatment band
In April 2022, we reviewed the Clinical Data Set (CDS) entered on an FP17W claim versus the treatment band. To ensure a smoother introduction of the validation rules, no claim will now be rejected. For those claims where we found inconsistencies, a comment code will instead be generated on your summary of forms processed (part of the performer schedule):
|011||No treatment to justify band|
|012||Treatment entered higher than band|
|013||Reg 11 claim without appliance|
|014||Free repair without repair/replaceable item|
For more information, read our 'CDS items treatment bands - updated April 2022' guidance document.
Multiple choice items added to the Clinical Data Set
From 1 April 2022, two multiple choice items were added to the Clinical Data Set:
- Best Practice Prevention
- Cleaning and Instruction
The introduction of these items was having an impact on the ability to submit claims where a free examination was included.
Best Practice Prevention
Best Practice Prevention is no longer linked to a Band 1 and can be entered on any banded claim. You can also report Best Practice Prevention with a free examination.
Cleaning and Instruction
Cleaning and Instruction is made up of multiple choice items:
- Removal of Plaque Retentive Factors
- Toothbrushing Advice
- Inter Dental Cleaning Aids
- Oral Hygiene Improvement Plan
Removal of Plaque Retentive Factors is now the only item that is linked to a Band 1 claim.
Toothbrushing Advice, Inter Dental Cleaning Aids and Oral Hygiene Improvement Plan are now attached to a null or zero Band. Therefore, if included on the claim, free examination can be included.
Reporting of 'Patient Presented With'
Claims which do not contain the 'Patient Presented With' reason will no longer be rejected. Instead, a comment will now be generated.
A 'Patient Presented With' reason would normally be one of the following:
- Routine Visit
There are three options available for the reporting of an examination. One of the options applies if an ACORN assessment has not been carried out. It separates non-ACORN examinations from the ACORN assessment.
The options are:
- Exam Not Possible
- Interim Care Review
- Exam Not Necessary
The option for Exam Not Possible has now been linked to Band 1 rather than being a null or zero Band.
Guidance is available on our website:
- Guidance for the completion of FP17W activity submissions in Wales (April 2022), under Changes to the FP17W (Wales) form
- Common errors – FP17W from April 2022, under Dental activity processing errors
- Guidance for the completion of FP17PRW (practice record form) in Wales, under Changes to the FP17W (Wales) form
If you have any questions about your submissions, you can contact us:
- 0300 330 1348