The NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) is a Special Health Authority and an Arm's Length Body of the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC).
We provide a range of critical central services to NHS organisations, NHS contractors, patients and the public.
Our services include:
- processing approximately 1 billion prescription items for pharmacists who have dispensed prescriptions in England
- managing the NHS Pension Scheme in England for over 2.6 million users
- administering the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme in the UK - we’ve processed over 6.6 million cards this year
- managing payments to dentists for NHS work in England and Wales – we process 44 million dental forms for payments totalling over £2.5 billion.
- compiling, publishing and distributing the NHS Drug Tariff for England and Wales.
- managing NHS Student Bursaries in England, making payments of over £500 million to over 80,000 students.
- managing the Social Work Bursaries Scheme in England, making payments of over £82 million to nearly 14,000 students.
- administering the low income scheme, maternity and medical exemption schemes, tax credit exemption cards and prescription prepayment certificates in England – we process over 5 million claims for these schemes every year.
- providing the NHS Dictionary of Medicines and Devices (in partnership with NHS Digital) for use throughout the NHS.
- providing management information to over 25,000 registered NHS and DHSC users on costs and trends in prescribing and dental care in England and Wales.
- managing the NHS Injury Benefit Scheme in England and Wales, processing over 30,000 applications since the scheme started.
- providing a range of hosted employment, human resources and financial services for various DHSC teams and programmes.
- providing strategic procurement and contract management expertise on DHSC supply chain strategic contracts and programmes across the health sector.
- managing a 10-year outsourced Master Services Agreement for the delivery of supply chain services to the NHS, supporting the planned delivery of around £1 billion of savings to the NHS over the life of the agreement.
We became operational on 1 April 2006 when five NHS organisations were brought together:
- Prescription Pricing Authority
- NHS Pensions Agency
- Dental Practice Board
- NHS Logistics Authority
- NHS Counter Fraud and Security Management Service
Improvements we've made
Since 1 April 2006, the NHSBSA has:
- implemented significant improvements across all business processes
- introduced a new management model of shared services and dedicated business streams
- developed a robust scorecard
- measured and used customer feedback and benchmarked services
Savings to the NHS
Since 2013, we have delivered £772 million of recurring annual savings to the NHS.
You can read more about the contribution we're making to reducing the NHS budget in our Annual Report and Accounts, Strategy and Business Plan.