Diversity and inclusion are about recognising that we are all different and have varying needs. Age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation are some of the factors which can mean that people have different experiences or may face additional barriers and prejudice.
These are ‘protected characteristics’ under the Equality Act (2010), which means that it is unlawful to treat someone less favourably because of any of these factors.
At the NHSBSA, we are committed to taking equality, diversity and inclusion into account in everything we do. This includes providing and transforming services, employing people, procuring goods and services, developing policies, communicating, and involving people in our work.
Our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy outlines our plans for diversity and inclusion. It reflects not only our legal requirements, but goes beyond that to reflect our commitment to doing ‘good business’, to harness the benefits of diversity to deliver great services for our customers, and to be a great place to work.
So how are we doing?
- We have recently been awarded a ‘Silver Standard Employer’ Award by the Employers Network for Equality and Inclusion’s (ENEI), in recognition of our commitment to working inclusively.
- We’re a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme for inclusive employers to support our commitment towards sexual orientation and gender identity equality, and participate every year in their Workplace Equality Index to further improve our performance.
- We are accredited at Level 2 – ‘Disability Confident Employer’, in recognition of our commitment towards disability equality.
- We are also an ‘Autism Friendly’ organisation, in recognition of our work with the Autism Alliance as part of their ‘Autism Connect’ initiative to make our services as accessible as possible for people with autism.
- To demonstrate our commitment to recruiting from the Armed Forces, we have pledged to the Step into Health program and have signed the armed forces covenant.
Read our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy 2016-19 (PDF 929KB) for more information about our work on diversity and inclusion, including our equality objectives.