HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) determine who is eligible for NHS Tax Credit exemptions. They share this information with the NHS Business Services Authority. We’ll use the information to manage the NHS Tax Credit Service for the UK.
Why we process your information
By law, we must process this information to be able to provide this service.
We match the shared information against claims you make of being exempt from NHS charges.
We may use your information to check that your certificate is valid. If we can’t confirm that it’s valid, you may be sent a Penalty Charge Notice.
Sharing your personal information
We may share your information to prevent or detect crime, and protect public funds from fraud with:
- Scottish Ministers
- Welsh Government Department for Health and Social Services
- The Department of Health, Social Services & Public Safety (Northern Ireland)
- NHS Commissioners and service providers
Your information will not be transferred outside the European Economic Area.
Keeping your personal information
Your personal data will be deleted from our systems and files no later than 24 months after your certificate expires.
The information you provided will be managed as required by Data Protection law.
You have the right to:
- receive a copy of the information the NHSBSA hold about you
- request your information be changed if you believe it was not correct at the time you provided it – we will forward your request to HMRC who maintain this information
From 25 May 2018, you have the right to request:
- that your information be deleted if you believe NHSBSA are keeping it for longer than necessary
- a review of the automated decision to issue you with a Penalty Charge Notice
Find out more about your rights and how we process information.