The NHS Business Services Authority is responsible for this service.
We’ll use the information your GP practice gave us to process your application.
Why we process your information
By law, we must process this information to be able to provide this service.
We will ask you for:
- information to identify you
- details of your medical condition(s) to process your application
We may use your information to check claims you make for help with NHS charges.
If we can’t confirm that you’re entitled to help, you may be sent a Penalty Charge Notice.
Your information will be used to help plan and make improvements to NHS services, and/or direct patient care.
Your information will not be transferred outside the European Economic area.
Sharing your personal information
To prevent, detect and investigate fraud and errors, we may share your information with:
- NHS commissioners and service providers
- NHS Digital
- NHS Counter Fraud Authority
- The Department for Work and Pensions
To help the NHS plan for the future, information about the first medical condition given on your application may be shared with:
- Department for Health and Social Care
- NHS England
This information is given anonymously so you won’t be identified.
Keeping your personal information
Your personal data will be deleted from our systems and files no later than 24 months after your certificate expires.
The information you provided will be managed as required by Data Protection law.
You have the right to:
- receive a copy of the information the NHSBSA hold about you
- request your information be changed if you believe it was not correct at the time you provided it
From 25 May 2018, you have the right to request:
- that your information be deleted if you believe we are keeping it for longer than necessary
- a review of the automated decision to issue you with a Penalty Charge Notice
Find out more about your rights and how we process information.