We started our environmental sustainability journey back in 2009 when we launched our first Sustainable Development Action Plan and certified our Environmental Management System to ISO14001. Since then, we have continued to progress and accelerated our work to:
- make our buildings more efficient and have introduced sources of renewable energy
- improve our services to remove waste, reduce paper use and distribution of plastic cards
- work alongside our commercial experts and suppliers to embed environmental criteria into contracts
- engage our people in all roles, right across the business on how they can play their part
We are extremely proud of our achievements so far and have excellent foundations in place to further our work and meet our environmental goals.
Read about our sustainability journey in more detail
A year-on-year summary of our sustainability journey:
- our first Sustainable Development Action Plan is published
- our Environmental Management System is certified to ISO14001
- The Sustainable Development e-learning course is launched for all colleagues.
- electric pool cars are introduced at our HQ
- the Greening Government Commitments are incorporated into our strategy
- Solar panels are introduced at our Fleetwood site.
- Videoconferencing is integrated across our national estate.
- carbon emissions from our buildings have halved (compared to a 2009-10 baseline)
- mandatory training on environment is introduced across the NHSBSA
- 90% of our waste is diverted from landfill.
- 95% of our waste is diverted from landfill
- we transitioned our Environmental Management System to ISO14001:2015
- a significant reduction of single use plastics across our estate
- Public Sector Paperless Award winner
- we replaced our gas heating system with an air source heat pump and solar water system at Bridge House
- launch of the NHSBSA National Environment Network
- we signed the NHS Plastic Free Pledge
- NHS Sustainability Award Winner
- our Electronic Prescription Service processed over 70% of prescriptions electronically
- 1.4 million plastic Prescription Pre-Payment Certificate (PPC) Cards eliminated
- declared Climate Emergency and set our Net Zero target
- new Environment Committee Established
- Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply Corporate Ethics Mark achieved
- Health Service Journal Award finalist for Environmental Sustainability category
- Electronic Prescription Service processed over 89% of prescriptions electronically
- first supply chain sustainable procurement engagement event held
- 2 million employees receiving electronic pay slips through Electronic Staff Records (ESR)
- digital exemption certificates have eliminated 2 million plastic cards
- first Environmental Innovation Day held across Health Exemption Services
- our Climate Action Toolkit launched to provide accessible information to our colleagues on climate action
This infographic summarises our year-on-year sustainability journey so far: