The current NHS dental contract does not acknowledge improvements that have been made in oral health over the decades or drive oral health improvement. .
The aim of this programme is to:
- prevent future dental disease
- encourage patients to take responsibility for their oral health, with the support of the practice team
- reduce the amount of necessary remedial dental work.
Patients will still have access to the full range of clinically necessary treatments available on the NHS..
The programme introduces a clinical pathway which provides patients with oral health assessments. Oral Health Assessments:
- identify the patient’s future risk of dental disease
- provide self-care plans and preventative advice
Follow up Oral Health Reviews are provided where necessary to check on progress or to be provided with preventative treatments, for example fluoride varnish