Detailed information on Part VIII of the Drug Tariff.
Category M prices
Changes to Category M reimbursement prices in Part VIIIA of the Drug Tariff
Previous copies of Category M prices
Category M reimbursement prices are being amended from 1 November 2018. This is outside of the usual three monthly cycle, in which Category M reimbursement prices are updated because the Department of Health and Social Care, with the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee’s agreement, is decreasing Category M reimbursement prices by £10 million per month for the remainder of 2018/19. Informed by medicine margin survey results, this is to address an over delivery of medicine margin over the period 2015/16 to 2017/18, above the £800 million per year commitment.
Category M reimbursement prices will be amended from 1 August 2018, which is outside of the usual three month cycle for updating these reimbursement prices:
- A reduction of £15 million per month was made to Category M reimbursement prices from August 2017 to begin to address an over delivery of medicine margin which is part of the Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework (CPCF) funding for 2015/16 and 2016/17.
- Based on the information available at the time this reduction was agreed for twelve months with the Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee (PSNC) to July 2018.
- The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) is now increasing Category M reimbursement prices from August 2018.
- DHSC and PSNC continue to work to complete the medicine margin assessment for 2017/18 and finalise the outturn for 2016/17, to inform any further adjustments in 2018/19.
- The near final outturn for 2016/17 medicine margin now indicates that there is still some margin to be recovered on top of the £15 million per month which was being recovered over the previous 12 months. This will be taken into account with the outturn for 2017/18, which is not due until the autumn. Thus, it is too early to say what further adjustments will be made and when.
Drug Tariff Part VIIIA in excel format
Previous copies of the Drug Tariff Part VIIIA
The Department of Health has announced the Part VIIIB prices which will apply to prescriptions from 1 May 2019.
Previous copies of Part VIIIB Specials