The NHS Business Services Authority is working with various partner organisations to help prescribers and dispensers realise the benefits of increased EPS use, particularly through electronic repeat dispensing.
How we can help
We've developed a series of resources to help primary care providers increase their EPS use.
Increased EPS use provides data that can be used to help providers identify suitable patients for electronic repeat dispensing (eRD). Higher levels of eRD mean we can offer improved reports on prescribing and not dispensed items to support medicines optimisation initiatives and help reduce waste.
Resources for GP practices
Templates and guides
Waiting room message content This content can be used to engage patients with consistent messages about the benefits of EPS.
This content can be used to send direct communications to patients.
This template can be used to engage affiliated pharmacies and encourage them to promote EPS to nomination. It can be attached to batches of paper prescriptions sent from the practice to the pharmacy.
This step by step guide shows users how to create a report on patients who have not yet made an EPS nomination.
This step by step guide shows users how to set up alerts for non-nominated patients, so GPs can be reminded to promote EPS during relevant consultations. Pop up prompts are particularly useful in increasing EPS use.
Our team can provide basic training for GPs and practice staff on:
- EPS Prescription Tracker
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details. We'll contact you to discuss your requirements.
EPS benefits for prescribers
Through increased EPS use, prescribers benefit from:
- more efficient processing of prescriptions
- greater control of prescriptions dispensed
- less time spent dealing with prescription queries
- less time spent signing prescriptions
Use NHS Digital's prescriber benefits estimator to find out how much time and money your practice could save by increasing your EPS use.
EPS benefits for dispensers
Through increased EPS use, dispensers benefit from:
- automated downloads, making prescription processing more efficient
- decreased waste and increased savings, as less printing needed
- less time spent on administration and collecting prescriptions, which means more time for helping customers
- improved stock control and greater accuracy
- a prescription collection service no longer being needed
- improved patient satisfaction through reduced waiting times
- increased accuracy, meaning fewer prescription queries
- less sorting and less paper to send to NHS Prescription Services
Use NHS Digital’s dispenser benefits estimator to find out how much time and money your pharmacy could save by increasing EPS use.
EPS benefits for patients
By using EPS, patients benefit from:
- collecting repeat prescriptions directly from their pharmacy without having to visit the GP
- paper prescriptions not getting lost
- less time spent waiting in pharmacies and GP practices
- a reliable, secure and confidential service