The NHS Business Services Authority is working with various partner organisations to help prescribers and dispensers realise the benefits of increased EPS use, particularly through electronic repeat dispensing.
The Future of EPS
Phase 4 and controlled drugs
How we can help
We've developed a series of resources to help primary care providers increase their EPS use.
Increased EPS use provides data that can be used to help providers identify suitable patients for electronic repeat dispensing (eRD). Higher levels of eRD mean we can offer improved reports on prescribing and not dispensed items to support medicines optimisation initiatives and help reduce waste.
EPS benefits for patients
By using EPS, patients benefit from:
- collecting repeat prescriptions directly from their pharmacy without having to visit the GP
- paper prescriptions not getting lost
- less time spent waiting in pharmacies and GP practices
- a reliable, secure and confidential service
Talk to your GP or the person who prescribes your medicine for more information.
EPS benefits for prescribers
Through increased EPS use, prescribers benefit from:
- more efficient processing of prescriptions
- greater control of prescriptions dispensed
- less time spent dealing with prescription queries
- less time spent signing prescriptions
EPS benefits for dispensers
Through increased EPS use, dispensers benefit from:
- automated downloads, making prescription processing more efficient
- decreased waste and increased savings, as less printing needed
- less time spent on administration and collecting prescriptions, which means more time for helping customers
- improved stock control and greater accuracy
- a prescription collection service no longer being needed
- improved patient satisfaction through reduced waiting times
- increased accuracy, meaning fewer prescription queries
- less sorting and less paper to send to NHS Prescription Services
We've developed a series of presentation slides and materials that can be used to help support you to increase the awareness of EPS.
We can also give you further help and support specific to you.
For more information and to discuss your requirements, contact us by:
Templates and guides
A presentation highlighting our offering to prescribers.
Dispenser Support ModelA presentation highlighting our offering to dispensers.
EPS Patient LeafletAn A5 leaflet suitable for local printing.
An A3 poster suitable for local printing.
This content can be used on waiting room plasma for patients to read.
This content can be used to engage patients with consistent messages about the benefits of EPS.
This template can be used to engage affiliated pharmacies and encourage them to promote EPS to nomination. It can be attached to batches of paper prescriptions sent from the practice to the pharmacy.
This step by step guide shows users how to create a report on patients who have not yet made an EPS nomination.
This step by step guide shows users how to set up alerts for non-nominated patients. The alerts will help GPs to promote EPS during consultations. Pop up prompts are particularly useful in increasing EPS use.
Guide to setting up non-nominated patient alerts - EMIS system (PDF: 663KB)This step by step guide shows users how to set up alerts for non-nominated patients. The alerts will help GPs to promote EPS during consultations. The alerts will also benefit other practice staff such as the administrative team. Pop up prompts are particularly useful in increasing EPS use.
For more information, contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let's Talk EPS
Together we'll explore:
- How to increase the use of Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
- How to improve Patient experience with EPS
- Discussion on what you find difficult with EPS
- Find out how we can help you maximise your use of EPS