eRD reduces waste and creates savings across primary care by:
- reducing time spent by GPs and practice staff on preparing repeat paper prescriptions
- reducing the number of GP appointments taken up by patients on stable medications
- improving pharmacy workflows
eRD also enables new and improved reporting on prescribing, medicines use and not dispensed items.
Analysis of eRD data will reduce overprescribing and complement medicines optimisation initiatives, resulting in what we call ‘efficient eRD’.
Identifying suitable patients for eRD
Any patient suitable for a repeat prescription could be suitable for electronic repeat dispensing. This includes, but is not limited to, patients:
- on stable therapy
- with long term conditions
- on multiple therapies
- that can appropriately self-manage seasonal conditions
eRD: An overview
This video was produced in collaboration with NHS Digital. It was created primarily for pharmacies to explain the high level process behind eRD.
We'd love to hear your feedback on the video, so please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any comments, suggestions etc.