Skip to main content Skip to footer

Options on leaving the Scheme

Leaving the Scheme

To leave the Scheme, a member must complete part 1 of the application to leave the NHS Pension Scheme (SD502)(PDF: 211KB) form.

You must then complete part 2. You may need to read the application form guidance (PDF: 115KB) when completing your part.

If you don’t have access to Pensions Online (POL), complete the leaver spreadsheet (Excel: 23KB) for all members and email it to us.

Read the guidance notes (PDF: 238KB) for help on how to do this.

Transferring out

Members who leave the NHS Pension Scheme may be able to transfer their benefits to another registered pension scheme.

For more information please read the leaving early and transferring out guide (PDF: 307KB)

You will need the urgent request for pensionable pay (FA11) (Word: 224KB) form.


Members may be eligible to receive a refund of their contributions.

Read our factsheets for more information:Employer refund of pension contributions (PDF: 202KB)Refund of contributions decision tree (PDF: 178KB)